Packaging and envelopes – or not
Tips and advice about how best to pack your deliveries are available here. You can choose to send consignments with or without packaging.
When choosing packaging (or not), you should primarily be aware of two things:
- The consignment must be secure and solid, so that the contents do not become damaged
- It must be possible for us i.e. our machines, to read the address
How to use window envelopes in the best possible way
- Select a window (e.g. polystyrene material) that ensures the address is easy to read
- Use a window that adheres to the envelope, so that it looks even and smooth and does not have any reflection
- If you want to have a customer number or similar in the recipient’s address, place it above or at the top left of the address
- Place the contents of the envelope so that they cannot be displaced, otherwise this would result in the recipient’s address not being visible through the pane
- If you want two windows, place the additional window in the upper left corner on the front. It must be higher up than the pane with the recipient’s address
- If you use the additional window for the sender’s address (other address), you should use a substantially smaller font size than in the address field, and place a large “X” over the address in the additional window
Shipments sent in plastic film
You can laminate your shipments with plastic, for example when sending newsletters with a letter. If you follow the guidelines below, you can be sure that your shipment will be safe.
- Choose a clear plastic film with a quality that allows us to easily sort the shipments. We recommend that you use polyethylene (LDPE) 25-30 MY or CPP 25-30 MY.
Please note the following as well:
- Choose a film that does not generate static electricity, and does not produce annoying reflections, fluorescence or phosphorus
- Choose a film that is not high friction, so that our stamp prints are retained
- Select a film that encloses the contents tightly, so that they remain stable
- Preferably, place the sealing on the back so that it does not interfere with reading the address and is not in the way of insertion of the barcode label
- We apply the barcode by machine, with a self-adhesive and removable label
Obtain help finding the right packaging
At PostNord, we do everything we can to ensure your consignments are in a complete and good condition when they arrive. Packaging is therefore especially important if you are sending something other than a standard letter. You can help us, yourself and your customers by packaging your shipments and stabilizing the content as well as possible.
You can use the following packaging:
- Padded mailers
- Plastic film
Did you know that your consignment does not necessarily have to have an envelope? Read more about your options here.
Without envelope, folded or non-packaged mail items
Even if you do not use an envelope, your consignment still has to comply with the free field for the sorting barcode, so that you avoid the space for the self-adhesive barcode label.
It is easy to send catalogs, journals and magazines, etc. without an envelope. Your consignment just has to:
- consist of a single part, such as a catalog or one sheet
- be at least A5 format (210 x 148 mm)
- not be larger than 45 x 30 x 3 cm
- be franked with the PP stamp or machine franking
There may be special conditions about which you need to be aware. These vary considerably from consignment to consignment. We therefore recommend that you contact us, so that you get the best possible handling of your consignment and can fulfil your wishes regarding the design of your consignment.
This is especially true if you are planning a number of special solutions with “smartmail,” “selfmailer” and other more creative formats. Contact us for further advice, possible testing and approval.